Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hessian Curtains

I have decided to have a go at making my own grommet curtains for the house to save on money. I'm not the most accomplished seamstress but I can do basic sewing through making my cosplays so I am hoping that will be enough. I have found a tutorial and it doesn't seem too scary. I actually understood it which gives me hope :D Here is the tutorial.

I have fallen in love with the idea of using hessian (or the material you might know as Burlap or Jute) for the curtains. It's a very simple, rustic looking fabric and I think the juxtaposition (bringing out the big words :P) between the elegant wainscoting on the walls with the rough fabric will look lovely. I have noticed a lot of true French Provincial homes use a lot of natural materials and textures that are practical and yet still look elegant. I'd also like to add a panel of lace to the bottom of the curtains just to add that touch of pretty to an otherwise plain fabric. Sort of like this table runner except a longer strip of lace:

 
I've also noticed in many pictures that it seems pretty common to add a differing panel to curtains so I feel pretty good about the decision. How pretty does the simple, rough hessian look with the delicate, elegant lace <3

I also stumbled across a great idea for curtain tie backs that I think I will use. Spoons! I know it sounds sort of weird but I think the result is gorgeous and looks a bit like some of the ornamental French tie backs I have seen (but with a far cheaper price tag):



No comments:

Post a Comment