Sunday, December 7, 2014

Inspiration for Roof and Architecture

I thought I would post some pictures for the inspiration for our new roof. We need our house reroofed anyway so I have asked my husband to agree to put a different style roof on. As I mentioned previously our house currently has a skillion roof and I hate it. I much prefer gable/hip and valley etc.

Here's our current house:







Now I am thinking of trying to make it look more a Federation style. It's hard to tell from the photo but at the top of the steps there is quite a decent sized porch which I'd like covered over to make a verandah. Here are the inspiration photos I have found:








There are quite a few of these Federation houses in my home town, so it wouldn't be out of place. I think I like the curved verandah roof best and I should be able to erect some window awnings myself without too much issue.

For something a bit different though I also love gothic style houses:






Just gorgeous aren't they :) I do think though that if I went gothic I would want to have all my windows changed to colonial ones and shutters and then when you add all the wonderful fret work and mouldings my house would cost me a mint haha.

So I think Federation will be the way to go. I am planning to still paint my house the green/black palette that I mentioned before (so there's one thing that actually hasn't changed .... yet!).



No comments:

Post a Comment