Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Floors and Walls and Windows Oh My!!

Yay my first post talking about the fun stuff- the interior decorating 
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I think I may have mentioned earlier that I wanted a very French Provincial/ Victorian interior. I figure chalets are French enough to get away with this kind of interior in a non period home. Or maybe not but I don't care 
\(^▽^)/ I adore period style- especially restoration and/or historical building conversion projects. Unfortunately there are few truly historical buildings where I live and the ones that are aren't often for sale or sell for way too much. So I am going to have to sate my appetite with episodes of Restoration Man and Grand Designs and by making my interior look period style. If only you could get kit home castles!!

So I have had my wall colours picked out for ages (since before we were going to build in fact). I really want the walls the same shade of grey as I started painting our current house when I thought we would be renovating. It's a medium light shade of grey named Afternoon Storm by British Paints. I love it and it has a very slight hint of mauve to it which makes it a bit warmer. It's not the best photo but here is the colour on our current walls (photo was at night so it looks a bit darker, it's the grey on the wall the mask is on):



Like in the photo I am also planning on doing all the moulding in white. I also really want to add chair rails in the new house like this:



At this stage I am undecided though whether to do a darker grey down the bottom and have that two tone look like the picture above, or whether to just paint the walls the one shade of grey. As the decorating will be quite monochrome I am not sure if I want to add more than one shade of grey. Just don't know yet but if I do I will probably go 1/2 strength above and full strength below. I love the look of the picture rails though so they will definitely be happening. They will be painted white like the other moulding (* >ω<) I love painting houses and adding things like this because it's such a cheap and easy way to change the whole look of your house and if you don't like it you can easily just paint over it/remove nails and take it down. Painting walls is to houses what dyeing hair is to women!

Finally the flooring that we plan to have throughout the whole house. I think I may have mentioned we aren't exactly made of money so in some areas we will be scrimping more than others. The floors however we won't be and they are a little expensive. Last quote I got was $14,000 for the floorboards and underlay and that doesn't include the cost of laying them (which our builder has kindly said he would do. However I love this floor already. It's Limed Arc Bamboo flooring from Choices . It's environmentally friendly because bamboo is a highly sustainable grass, it's as hard wearing as most hardwoods, it's cheap and easy to maintain and I just love the look as I think they will go better with grey than traditional floorboards:



Isn't it stunning ヽ( ★ω★)ノ

Our window treatments will probably be the same as the ones we have now because I love them and we can then reuse the ones we already have so we'd just need to buy a few more. They are Roman Blinds in Saturn: Snow from ABCExpress. They were pretty cheap but also great quality and will go nicely with the floor and walls:






So the floors, the walls and the window treatments will recur throughout the house to bring it together. There will be some slight differences to the floors and walls in some rooms but I'll get to those at another date!

No comments:

Post a Comment