Monday, January 13, 2014

Kitchen

This post will probably be quite long as there is so much to do to a kitchen. I guess that is why the kitchen and bathroom are said to be the two most expensive rooms to renovate! ٩(•̤̀ᵕ•̤́๑)ᵒᵏᵎᵎᵎᵎ

We will start with the cabinetry as that is pretty standard. I've mentioned I have champagne tastes but a beer budget so as much as I would like a custom designed French Provincial kitchen I have a budget waaaaaaayy smaller than I need. Instead I am planning on installing Bunnings Kaboodle kitchen cabinets with the white Provincial doors. Then add birdcage handles that I found on eBay fairly cheap by a seller named av-rf to give it more of the Provincial look I love and make it look not so stock standard Bunnings kitchen:



We will also be getting an under bench oven, bench stove top and dishwasher by Bellini and a full range hood all from Bunnings. They are cheap and work well and fit nicely into the Bunnings kitchen cabinets. I would love to get an Aga just because I love the way they look but honestly it wouldn't be very practical and they are apparently quite expensive to run! For the oven splash-back I am planning on getting wallpaper in a beautiful black and white fleur-de-lys similar to this:



Then covering the area of wall behind the stove top under the range hood. I'd like to then have it covered in glass.

Bench tops are one area where I am planning to splash out a bit extra on. I could get laminate bench tops very cheap but I'm not a big fan of them. Instead I want to use Granite Transformations which is a thinner layer of granite over a bench top. This way you get granite bench tops but at a fraction of the usual price. I'm not 100% sure on colour yet. Still deciding between black and white but I'll update when I have made a decision ٩(^ᴗ^)۶
*Update* I think at this stage I like the White Star:

 

Because the kitchen area is quite small and we won't have a lot of bench space I would like to put in an island bench to give us a bit more room for food prep and serving. I don't really want a stock standard island bench though so I thought I might buy a gorgeous Provincial style Sideboard/Buffet and use that instead. I'll just have some granite laid on top when I get the other bench tops done. I really adore this Harmonie 3-door sideboard by Early Settler:



I think this could work really nicely and it would match the kitchen cupboards enough to be cohesive but is different to stand out and be a piece of interest. I'll probably also buy some bar stools so that it can be used as a breakfast bar too. I quite like the white and black Zeta bar stools from Fantastic Furniture:



Having one of each should match the dining chairs I have picked out too  
ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ

There's still more! The sink and tap ware! I am spending more on the sink than I can get away with. However it's really important to me that in a Provincial inspired house I have a Belfast sink. I love them and I think they look so much nicer than the usual stainless steel ones found in most Australian homes. Unfortunately they are also more expensive than stainless steel ones which might explain why most people don't have them!! I have been eying off 1901 Fireclay Sinks collection and have fallen in love with their Belfast sink:




I want it installed with one side visible at the front of the bench. The taps I want are similar to one I already have with the same antique bronze look. This one is from eBay seller e-presentshop:



Finally wall cupboards. I left this until last because now I have decided I don't want the normal wall cupboards. Instead I have decided to have open shelving after looking at some gorgeous kitchen pictures for inspiration. Shelving is cheap and can look lovely and add personality to the kitchen I think. Here are the pictures I found inspirational:







And I think that is finally about it for the Kitchen O(≧∇≦)O

No comments:

Post a Comment