Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hallways and Staircases (and Windows)

My husband hears this a lot when I talk about the house, and it will probably get written here a fair bit too - I've changed my mind. Originally remember I said I was going to use Roman Blinds on the windows? Well I have since discovered shutters and fallen in love with their simplicity, aesthetic and low maintenance-ness (。’▽’。)♡ I also think they will help with the period feel. I discovered Victory Curtains & Blinds who cover our area and have beautiful plantation shutters like I want:





So, now that we have that cleared up haha, on to the staircase and hallways. There's not a lot I really have to say about the hallway except what lighting I like and the linen cupboard I plan to have. I have decided to use a Bunnings pantry with the provincial doors and antique birdcage handles as a linen cupboard. It will go at the end of the Hall on the ground floor against the wall. That way it's close to the main bathroom and most of the bedrooms.

The lighting I have chosen for the two hallways are these great cage balloon pendant lights that I found on eBay by a seller called duckfat:



There would be 3 in the long hallway on the ground floor and 2 along the upstairs hallway. I love how they mix the old and the new looks to make a funky looking hanging light. They also make a nice contrast to the ornate chandeliers whilst still having a period feel.

As for the staircase I have had a couple of ideas for the balustrades. I love this look:



I really like the black stair treads and black wooden handrail mixed with the white staircase and balustrades.
I also really like this:




I just love the wrought iron balustrades. I am thinking maybe I will do the white staircase with black treads and some white wooden balustrades like the first pic and the black wrought iron balustrades and hand rail from the second pic. So sort of like this:




For lighting it will get a lot of light from the lighting in the Living, Dining, Kitchen area, so I figure it won't need much more. I was planning on maybe putting one of these wall lights from Ivory&Deene on the landing wall (though not 100% sure yet):



And also placing down lights on the wall just above each third (or something like that) stair tread. So like this:


I think that should make sure the staircase is well lit enough that no one goes tumbling down it if they use it at night (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))


1 comment:


  1. This is very informative and well written article! I want to share with you one great source Best Timber Flooring

    ReplyDelete